Growing Resilience: Being Trauma Informed
10 Week Course
For educators, body oriented professionals and other change makers
*30 hours of training and support
*Some scholarships available. Email Abbi for more info.
*Includes one mentorship session with either Abbi or Amanda (Sign up with Abbi or Amanda. First come first served.)
Homework: Be ready to commit to 3-4 hours of engaging homework per week. Homework will be a combination of reading, journaling, and experiential practices.
***This course (with an additional 15 outside of class hours) is certified to award up to 3 undergraduate, graduate or continuing education credits (CEUs).**** Please inquire with Abbi about the additional cost of receiving credit for this course.
REGISTER HERE by Jan 7th.
$100 non-refundable deposit required:
Contact Abbi Jaffe with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
While you are in the course, we recommend you try to make space in your schedule for gentleness, a good night's sleep, and other supportive activities.
Jan 22- April 9, 2019
*No class 2/26 and 3/12
NEXT course is Oct - Dec 2019.
with Abbi Jaffe and Amanda Franz
The prevalence of trauma and its effects are astounding.
Knowing the body holds the experiences of our lives, and given the complexity of the world, many professionals witness the effects of trauma on a daily basis.
Join a community of professionals and other dedicated change makers to learn and receive support.
Abbi and Amanda are known for their insightful and embodied curriculum.
Your course includes one 1.25hr mentorship session to support your personal process of creating trauma informed spaces. This session is an opportunity to be seen and heard, ask questions and choose next actions that will support you in applying the learning from the course into your life and profession.
Studying trauma is potent and can provide a unique access point into your own personal work. In order to support your journey we recommend booking a private session with Abbi or Amanda during the course or a few weeks before or after (not included in the price of the course). Learn more here.
The Everything Space's Trauma Informed Definition:
Trauma Informed Space is held by practitioners and community members who are;
Educated in the prevalence and nature of trauma,
Act with compassion and skillfulness,
Actively create a culture where it is safer to listen to the body and share emotion/desires
Embrace the transformative power and strength of vulnerability and triggers, and who
Create space for checking in, feedback, and growing together.
The 10 Week Series Will Include:
- This training is designed to support the participant's understanding about the nature of trauma and how it shows up in the body, how trauma is released, and how resilience is grown.
- This training will create an empowering culture that supports the intelligence of the body and de-stigmatizes trauma.
- This training will give the participants the chance to look at their personal relationship to their body and to trauma, to learn more about their own nervous system.
- This training will offer opportunities to check in with the other participants about what they are noticing in their own relationship to their own experience of trauma.
- This training will offer opportunities to receive support from the other professionals taking the training in navigating any issues coming up in your own professional practice.
- This training will support you to have more informed conversations with your clients about trauma, the nervous system and health/resilience. We believe that helping a client understand how the nervous system works is helpful for the client and can support them in realizing they may need to seek additional professional help as well. To that point, we believe that it is helpful to be a part of a team when supporting someone to release trauma.
- This training will teach basic embodiment skills (grounding, centering, shaking, release, connection to gravity and weight, introception…) as well as co-regulation and resilience boosting skills.
- This training will teach about many of the aspect of the nervous system and provide opportunities to work on locating and regulating the participant's own nervous system.
- This training will include embodied anatomy opportunities such as the evolutionary stages of brain development, an overview of the autonomic nervous system, neuroplasticity, the vagus nerve, the polyvagal theory, understanding the amygdala and hippocampus, an overview to the relevant parts of the endocrine system as well as learning more about how we sense and perceive our world (sensory/motor loop).
“As human beings we belong to an extremely resilient species. Since time immemorial we have rebounded from our relentless wars, countless disasters (both natural and man-made), and the violence and betrayal in our own lives. But traumatic experiences do leave traces, whether on a large scale (on our histories and cultures) or close to home, on our families, with dark secrets being imperceptibly passed down through generations. They also leave traces on our minds and emotions, on our capacity for joy and intimacy, and even on our biology and immune systems.”
~Bessel Van Der Kolk, M.D. a leading expert in trauma: The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
"As a bodyworker, it is not uncommon for people to access trauma while on the table. Through Abbi and Amanda’s course, I have been able to more consciously create a supportive, safe environment for my clients, be more present and grounded when trauma may arise, and have a clearer sense as to when to make the suggestion to schedule time with a trained therapist."
~h. Turrone, massage therapist, 2017 student
Amanda Franz and Abbi Jaffe are somatic movement educators with a mission to re-center the body's wisdom in our lives and in our cultures. Through bodywork, education, facilitation, embodiment activism and community building, they invite people into the profound intelligence of their bodies and empower them to bring that intelligence everywhere they go. They are both certified Somatic Body Practitioners, and registered ISMETA Somatic Movement Educators. Abbi has a Bachelor's of Social Work from the University of Vermont and Amanda is a certified Level II Collab trainer and facilitator and has a BA in Visual Arts from Oberlin College.
Abbi and Amanda collaboratively curate The Everything Space, a somatic education studio dedicated to unleashing the intelligence of the body. The Everything Space acknowledges the global implications of climate crisis, collective trauma and embedded systems of oppression and aims to unite personal growth and dynamic social change.